Monday, August 23, 2010

Banana Pecan Bread


What to do with very ripe bananas? Why not make banana nut bread. Here is my version of banana nut bread. As some of you know I prefer pecans but you may substitute pecans for the commonly used walnuts.
Remember the original BeefSteak Charlie's? They had the best banana nut bread. It was moist and had just the right amount of sweetness. I would smother my bread with lots of butter. Boy! was it good (as I begin to drool) Okay! back to my recipe. In this recipe I used very ripe bananas, you know when the bananas are black? Rather than throwing them out I used them in this recipe "waste not want not" I guess!  At 1 am I found myself baking while my husband was sleeping......what I should have been doing but couldn't. At least he had a treat in the morning with a hot cup of coffee. I actually prefer the very ripe bananas. The flavor was right on! I hope you enjoy this recipe.


Banana Pecan Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3 very ripe bananas (they should look black)
1 stick of butter (melted)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of flour
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 to 1 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl mash bananas. Pour melted butter in mashed bananas and mix. Add egg,cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, vanilla and brown sugar then mix. Finally sift flour, baking soda and salt and add to mixture and mix but don't over mix. Fold in pecans. Pour into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack. Pop bread out and place on a serving platter and Enjoy! Tastes even better ice cold. Great with coffee, tea or simply a glass of ice cold milk.

5 comments:

  1. Oh the memories. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique this looks great and I want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really good recipe! Very moist, and very flavorful! I have been trying to find a really good recipe for banana bread...and my husband, kids and I all LOVED this one! I just happened on your site by typing in Banana pecan bread. (Since I had some very ripe bananas, and some pecans that needed to be used)! I like that it's less sugar than a lot of other recipes too! Only thing I did different was I used 1/2 c. pecans. That's only because that's all I had, but it still turned out wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrey thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I am very happy you tried my recipe and enjoyed it. Keep baking and cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from fellow bakers/cookers or guest just dropping by. Don't be shy,leave a comment.